Sunday, April 12, 2015

Children's Science Museum in Troy

We had bought a family pass to the Children's Science Museum in Troy, mostly because it works at other museums in Boston and some at Thanksgiving Point in Utah.  Well last week was spring break, and the weather was a little less than springy, and we needed something to do, so we decided to drive down and use our passes.

The drive was a little more than I expected, it was almost as far as the New York State Museum, but parking was free and the museum was much less crowded, even over spring break.

Some of the kids' favorite things were:

This magnetic wall, with PVC and magnetics on it, where they could make PVC tunnels and pathways for little pingpong balls to go through.

We then watched a really trippy movie about molecules in the planetarium.  I was kind of disappointed because I was expecting a show about stars in the planetarium, but whatever the tickets were free.  Here are the girls on their couch things so they could look up to watch the movie.


Our all time favorite place was the building room, where we made a house like structure.  The kids loved using real bolts and nuts and washers, and tightening the bolts themselves.

Here is the station with all the materials.

 And here is our final product.  When we pieced it together I didn't pay attention to the holes line up differently on different sides of the boards, so I didn't make it square, so the triangle brace pieces couldn't fit in right.  So we just put them on the bottom for decoration.
My overall conclusion is I wouldn't buy a pass to the museum just for that museum, but the reciprocity program makes it worth it, and the kids enjoyed it enough we will go back sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment