Tuesday, July 6, 2010

It finally clicked

Joshua has been so good with Minna, Brian and I were starting to think that we would have no worries about sibling rivalry. We have been working hard to disrupt Joshua's life as little as possible and to give him the attention he needs. But Saturday it finally clicked in Joshua's head what it meant to have a sister and there was a releasing of any pent up feelings up till that point.

It started out when I was nursing Minna and Joshua was eating some cereal at the table. He was dropping some on the floor so I scolded him. He felt bad about being scolded so he wanted his blankey. I told him to go upstairs and get it. He said "Minna chair, no eat", and would point to her bouncy seat. I said no that Minna needed to eat. But he started to get really upset and since holding the blankey with the thumb in his mouth is how he copes I went upstairs and got it for him (while still nursing).

After nursing her I put her in the Moby wrap and started to work on lunch. Joshua told me to put her in her chair again, and I told him no because she was asleep. Then he just fell apart and had a giant temper tantrum. Every time he would start to settle down I would offer him a hug because I knew he was just feeling neglected, but he didn't want a hug unless I put her down. This went on for 45 minutes. With him screaming and throwing a few things and me ignoring him as he screamed, then him settling for a moment to fall apart again when I wouldn't take Minna out of the wrap and put her in the chair.

Finally he settled down and would sit on my lap as best as possible and cuddle and then ate lunch. After that he noticed the stuff he had thrown around and cleaned it all up without me even asking.

Joshua has adopted a stuffed bear and I think it kind of represents his feelings for Minna. We gave him some of Minna's diapers and a couple of outfits to dress the bear in. He will put the bear in his shopping cart or stroller and push it around. But sometimes he will look at the bear and toss it across the room saying "No Bear". The bear seems to be a good outlet for any hurt feelings.

He is still really good with Minna, even though he is less affectionate now the novelty has wore off. When she cries he will tell me she wants to eat, and will put toys for her to look at when she is set down. He also enjoys taking baths with her now (I will blog about that later). He is still a loving brother.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad Joshua had fun. I worry that Jeffy's too big of a bully lately and that other kids won't want him around. :)

    P.S. I found your blog last night and it was fun to read through your archives!

    ReplyDelete