Monday, November 5, 2012

Trick or Treating

This year we took our kids on their very first door to door trick or treating.  We went with some friends and the kids had a great time.  Joshua and his friend go to the same preschool, but at different times.  So they were walking/running down the road singing the Halloween songs they learned in preschool.

Minna figured things out really quick.  She was not going to miss any candy.  She would shove herself up between the boys, or in a couple of cases bigger boys and shove her candy bucket in the person's face.  After a few people let her take a piece, she started lunging for the bowl and trying to grab handfuls.  Brian was having a blast and after our friends were done, tried to get the kids to go to more houses.  The kids were tired and didn't make it to too many more houses.

We ended up with TONS of candy.  We put it up really high so Brian and I would stop eating a ton of it everyday.  Then a friend mentioned that her older boy's school was collecting candy for the soldiers.  We talked to Joshua and Minna about it and told them that they had sooo much candy and that we could give some away.  Joshua was on board with it, Minna took a little convincing, but they both filled up a sandwich sized baggie to give away.  Then I went through and filled up another baggie with candy that we wouldn't really enjoy. 

Then Sunday we took the candy to church.  I told Joshua to go give it to his friend's mom.  I was expecting to go with him, but Joshua went off by himself.  I was pretty proud of him, because I don't think I would have handled the situation very well when I was four.  He was walking through the crowded church with bags full of candy, so a guy in our ward goes, "Wow!  Candy!  Is it for me?".  Joshua says no its for the soldiers.  Then a boy asked him for the candy, and Joshua told him that it was for the soldiers.  Then Joshua went up to his friend's mom and gave her the candy and told her that it was for the soldiers.  All by himself. 

Halloween was such a blast with the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment