We decided as a family to do the local 5k pumpkin run. Brian wasn't going to run because he is working on getting back into running, but it ultra competitive about it and he was worried he would hurt himself. But Joshua and I were going to do the 5k and the girls were going to do the fun run.
Well Miriam got sick and couldn't go so Brian stayed home with her and I took the kids. Minna wanted to run her race so she came, and I didn't have anyone to stay with her while I did the 5k, so I didn't race and had Joshua go alone. I was kind of nervous about it, because about 2,000 people run this race and while I can't keep up with him if I ran, I would be not too far behind if he needed help. So I told him to make sure he follows the 5k signs, and not the 10k signs and to tell someone if he needs help.
While they were lining up the announcer said there was a cross country race going on in the general area too and to make sure the runners stayed on the right course. I told Joshua to make sure he follows the purple shirts. (the shirts they gave out this year were purple). Then I go back to the finish line and wait 30 minutes. He ran one this spring in 35 minutes. 30 minutes go by, no Joshua. 35 minutes, no Joshua. 40 minutes, no Joshua and the other race runs by and their team colors are purple. Then I started to worry he got lost in the park. I am starting to think about going down the race route to see where he is, when in hobbles Joshua at about 45 minutes.
He says his feet hurt from running too much. I ask if his shoes are too small. He says no, but his toes hurt from running too much. I check and his shoes that he has worn for all of 2 months are too small. His toes are smashing in the front. He was super tired. But glad he made it through.
Then the kids wanted the treats, and since Joshua had come in later more people had finished and shown up to get treats so the line was way long. And after I got Joshua settled, Minna ended up missing her race. She did get a goodie bag, so she didn't feel too bad.
They also had these decorated pumpkins that the kids really enjoyed looking at before the races. Here are their favorites.
Summer fun with people I love
5 weeks ago











No comments:
Post a Comment