Last month I was blessed to attend my grandmother's funeral. It was a crazy few days. I arrived the night before the funeral and was so tired I just went to bed as soon as possible. The next morning I woke up at like 4:30 Utah time. My dad had told me I could speak at the funeral and share some memories if I wanted to. I used that early morning time to brainstorm and come up with some of my favorite memories of my grandmother.
I talked about the beautiful oil paintings she did. I was so happy that they put them up on display at the viewing. Some of the pictures have always been in my grandparents house and are a distinct part of my memory of their house.
I talked about one time my grandfather was driving from their house in Idaho to their house in southern Utah. He stopped by my house and ended up taking my sister Heather and I down with him. My grandmother came out to two kids showing up at her doorstep with no warning and happily took it all in stride and enjoyed the next couple of days just playing with us.
I talked about the hours of time she spent playing with us. We did alot of playdough. She taught us to make bird nests and ducks and eggs. It is still what I do when I play with playdough. She also spent hours and hours playing pioneer with us. Now having kids of my own, I really appreciate what an effort that is to play like that for that long.
I also talked about the legacy of their temple marriage and how my parents were married in the temple and Heather and I have been married in the temple.
My sisters also talked during the funeral. It was fun to hear their memories. It was also nice to be reminded about things from her life and find out new things. Her parents were postmasters growing up, so she grew up helping in the post office. I remember as a kid thinking that was the coolest job ever, and I still think it is, especially when I watch old movies and remember that the post office was a more social and less businessy kind of place back then. I imagine it more like these little post offices around where I live, where if you go in fairly often they remember who you are. A story about her life which was new to me is that shortly after my dad was born my grandmother's best friend's house burned down. My grandmother welcomed her, her husband and her 4 or 6 kids into her home for 3 months until they could build a new house.
Probably the best part of going down there is that it changed how I look at my grandfather. I think my dad said it best at the funeral that my grandmother spent the first 59 years of marriage taking care of my grandfather, but the last 2 years he took care of her in increasing amounts as her ability to care for herself deteriorated. As I heard details, I was amazed at his dedication. Because of his efforts she was able to pass away peacefully at home. One of the most touching for me was my sister telling me about how towards the end he would redo her medicine every four hours round the clock, often missing sleep to check on her and would check to make sure her lips were moistened, trying to make her as comfortable as possible. I just think that how in the next life when they are reunited how they will be even closer as a couple because of my grandfather's efforts.
I miss my grandmother but I am really grateful I was able to go to Utah and to remember her and her amazing life.
We love our Spanish Fork Missionaries
5 months ago




Awwww, she sounds amazing! Hugs!!
ReplyDelete