Friday, May 1, 2015

Too much excitement

This week after Brian and I got home from our trip (this will be a later post) we were hoping for a nice calm few days.  Well there has been a little more excitement-the bad kind than we had hoped for.

Wednesday I was feeding the beasts, and Red decided he wanted to eat somewhere other than where he was.  So as he was walking with purpose, he tripped over Anna with his front legs, and then stumbling stepped on her on with his hind legs.  She let out a scream (think 30 poundish goat being stepped on by a 1000 poundish horse).  Then when she got up she wouldn't stand on the leg.  I was quite worried and thinking, great we ruined the girl goat, who we are supposed to give back to the people we got the goats from.  But she kind of limped on it over to the hay bag.  Since she was eating and hobbling, I decided to wait to see if it got better.  And by the afternoon, she was totally fine.  Red must of felt her underneath and shifted his weight quickly, because she is fine.

Thursday night I put the kids to bed, and went downstairs.  The dog was making a huge fuss. I stuck my head out the window and heard screaming, and realized it was a goat.  I hurry out there, to find White Joe on his back with one leg fully tangled up in the fence.  With Red and the goats in a semi circle staring at him. I got him upright and realized I couldn't untangle him, so I went off in search of wire cutters.*  I came back and had to fight my way through the crowd of goats.  I am pretty sure this is what they were saying, "Can I eat your shirt," "Did you bring more dinner".  "Why is White Joe still stuck?"  "Where is the grain, Grain Lady?"  "Will it help if we push White Joe around?"  And in the background, Red was noticeably upset, running around.  I finally push my way through the crowd, and cut him free.  And then all was fine.

Now today Friday, Miriam fell off the top bunk of the bunk bed.  Minna had put up a stuffed animal chain and hung all of Miriam's stuffed animals up high, since Miriam sleeps on the top bunk.  But it was just out of Miriam's reach, and we assume that Miriam was reaching for one.  We don't know for sure, since Miriam was alone when it happened.  Anyway Miriam managed to chip a tooth.
The front side on the right is the one that is chipped. If you notice it looks like another canine tooth.  We called the dentist and set up an appointment for Monday.  While Brian was canceling the vet appointment I had scheduled for Monday, he noticed that Miriam was getting sleepy.  So he took her to Urgent Care.  She has a concussion.  The doctor said we need to watch for vomiting, and we get to get up every couple of hours tonight to make sure she will can wake up.  She is also limited to Tylenol as a pain killer.  So far her tooth hasn't been bugging her too much, hopefully it stays that way, because we can't give her any motrin.  But she perked up quite a bit on the way home, and actually had a hard time falling asleep tonight.  We made Minna and Miriam switch beds so Miriam was on the bottom, and it riled them all up,

So yeah, I am done with this kind of excitement for a long time.


*Goats are surprisingly calm.  Once I got him upright, he just stood there calmly, until I could free him. If a horse had that happen, they would have a panic attack, and tear their leg all up on the wire.  He just stood there the whole time.

No comments:

Post a Comment