The breed of chickens we have we picked in part because of their easy going nature. They are also huge for chickens, the roosters are around 13 pounds. The roosters are really low key and don't want to fight at all. We had a 5 pound bantam rooster for a while that beat up our big guys. We could also trust the roosters enough to let Miriam walk around with them, even when they were taller than she was.
So imagine my surprise the other day when Big Guy our dominate rooster started chasing me when I went out to feed the animals. He didn't peck me, but he was making me a little nervous. Then I realize I had put the chicken food up this morning because the goats had gotten out and I didn't want them to eat it, and I had forgotten to put the food back out after I caught the goats.
So keeping an eye on Big Guy the whole time I got some food for the chickens. Normally when roosters find food they will pick up a piece of it and call the hens over, and show them the food. Not this time, Big Guy started gulping down food like crazy, only stopping to chase off the other rooster Fancy Pants. After Big Guy had eaten his fill he went back to the low key rooster that he is. Big Guy gets hangry.
We love our Spanish Fork Missionaries
5 months ago




No comments:
Post a Comment