Friday, July 24, 2009

Early Intervention

Joshua had his early intervention screening today. There was a physical therapist, another lady, she came late so I am not sure what she was I am assuming either a developmental pediatrician or an occupational therapist, and a facilitator for the early intervention program.

We signed up to get screened because Joshua stands on his tip toes a good portion of the time when he pulls himself up.

Joshua doesn't qualify for early intervention right now. To qualify he has to be 33% behind in one thing or 25% behind in two things. He isn't behind in his gross motor skills, but the PT was concerned that his hamstrings and calf muscles are tight, partictually on the right side. She gave us some stretches to work on and wants to evaulate him in 3 months if he doesn't improve, or in 6 months if he does. She says that the way he stands right now he is not going to be able to walk, but the good news is, that when he stands by himself momentarily he does stand correctly, so as he continues to do that, it should help strengthen his legs.

The rest of the screening he did fine. His cognitive was a little low, but they thought it was just bad test results because his addaptive and language was much higher. They just think he was not interested in the way they did the cognitive test. He did try to do an advanced skill--the doctor lady brought out a board with holes in it and put a peg in a hole, he then tried to put another peg in a hole. He gave up quickly because he does not have the skills to pull it off right now, but she was impressed.

The other random thing they brought up is that Joshua is congested. I have gotten used to it because he has been congested forever, even in the NICU. But they said I should take him to a ENT (ear nose and throat) doctor, that they would be able to help him. Being constantly congested makes Joshua breath out of his mouth, which makes him super drooly, and makes it so he is unable to make a good seal with his mouth. The lack of seal with his mouth makes it so he dribbles when he drinks from a cup and it can slow down his speech development. So next week I will go to the pediatrician.

They also told me to get shoes for my child. I haven't yet because he can't walk and because it is summer. They pointed out I will have to cover his feet this winter, I guess I was just hoping he would walk before then. They also said that sometimes kids are more willing to stand with shoes on because they don't like the texture of the floors.

So that was our early intervetion day.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck. I didn't know that being congested could cause so many problems. good to know. I hope the shoe idea works.

    ReplyDelete