Sunday, March 18, 2012

Maple Festival

Yesterday Joshua, Minna and I headed to the maple festival to learn about how they make maple syrup. I envisioned lots of buckets hanging from trees and a giant cauldron of boiling maple sap like you see in old pioneer movies, but maple syrup technology has come a long way in the last 200 years. They have this tubing coming out of each tapped tree.Then they all join into a network of tubes. As they get closer to the building the tubes get bigger and eventually all come together. Then somehow that I wasn't able to discover with the kids the sap goes into the barn and is boiled down in this machine.
The kids enjoyed the samples of apple fritters with maple syrup on them and maple candy. We also left with a couple of gallons of maple syrup for granola making and when we feel really fancy when we make breakfast for dinner.
Then we had a few minutes so we stopped by a park on the way home. Minna was bound and determined to keep up with Joshua. Joshua would go upand Minna would go up. Joshua would go downand Minna would go down. The hardest part for Minna was getting off the slide because it was really high off the ground and she had to drop a little bit, but she wouldn't wait for me to get around to help her down. But they both had a good time.

3 comments:

  1. So cool! This is totally on our list of things to do someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where was this? I wish we'd have known about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way I like the name Gwyneth :)

    ReplyDelete