Sunday, March 11, 2012

Doctors say the darnedest things

So as of today I am farther along pregnancy wise than I was when Joshua was born. It is a significant milestone for me emotional wise. This pregnancy I have been to the doctors ALOT. When you go to the doctors so much you are bound to hear a few ridiculous things, and I have just learned to laugh at it, but I thought I might share so you can laugh too.

A couple of months ago I went down to Albany Med to a high risk OBGYN. He was totally socially awkward and a few of my favorite moments from that visit were these:
  • He asked us about family history and Brian mentioned that a sister had been born with a cleft foot. The doctor turned to me and asked me if this was a risk. I looked at him blankly because I thought it was a rhetorical question. He kept asking me questions and I couldn't figure out why, until he said, I was trying to see if your husband was the father and if this actually applied to the baby. --Yes my husband is the father of this baby and the other two kids at home.
  • At the end of the appointment the doctor looks at me and says, "So are you tying your tubes after this one." I had not mentioned once that this would be the last one. (Whether this is the last one or not is yet to be seen, but I am not doing anything drastic like that). I told the doctor no, that we weren't even considering it. He responded that he had two and that was plenty for his wife and him. We made a quick exit after that wondering what his kids have to do with our family planning.

Then this last Friday I had my regular OB appointment. The nurse asked me if I had any concerns, I just mentioned that this baby is situated a little uncomfortably and it would be great if there was a way to adjust her around. I have been doing some exercises, but I am open for suggestions. She responded by sending in a "Common Pregnancy Concerns" paper in with the doctor, who had no idea why he was giving it to me. It was not helpful at all, but some of the advice made me laugh. I have paraphrased most of these for brevity.
  • Clothing and Shoes-Wear maternity clothes.--Thank you I had no idea, except for the fact that my belly hangs out of normal shirts and I haven't been able to button up my regular pants for months.
  • Emotions- You will be moody, tell your family to be supportive--I went home and told Brian he has to deal with my moodiness.
  • Rest Periods-"Include rest periods in your routine, several times a day for short periods. Lie on one side or the other..."--I am happy to lie down once a day, for several times a day I would have to have no kids and no job. But it sounds good to me.
  • And my favorite "Take tub baths or showers..."--Really, I don't have to go 9 months without bathing. Thank goodness. I showered that very night, fortunately not for the first time in 6 months.
So yes, I am excited for May to come when I can meet this baby, and I am also excited to not go to the doctor so much.

3 comments:

  1. So funny! I'm glad to know that showering isn't off limits for pregnant ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! And I'm always left speechless when people ask me if we're done yet. I usually answer with something non-committal like "we're not sure yet." But still, I can't believe they even ask! I wish I was more gutsy and could say something snarky like, "nah, we're hoping for 20 so we can get our own show on TLC."

    ReplyDelete
  3. That OB is a little nuts, if I may say so. But good for a giggle, haha!
    Hooray that we can shower! And um, its either maternity clothes or a nudist colony at this point. Funny stuff.
    Soooo glad baby is still happy and in the oven for you! XOXO

    ReplyDelete