Tuesday we had Joshua screened again by early intervention for his physical development. Things went a lot better than last time. I didn't end up feeling like a terrible mom and Brian was there to help out. He tested normal for his adjusted age (18 months) for the stationary tests, I think this is how he positions himself while he plays, and the object manipulation tests, I think this is based of him playing with the really cool puzzle he loved and throwing the balls.
His locomotion skills tested as if he was 16 months old. But testing as a 16 month old is still considered normal for a 18 month old, its just low normal. He did really good on the stairs and walking around, but he doesn't walk backwards, kick a ball, or walk down a narrow line. The PT also checked the tightness in his muscles and said he is still a little tight, but seems to be a lot better than when he was checked 6 months ago. It was a different PT this time than last time, but she was able to read the report from last time, and when I told her the first PT thought that Joshua would be unable to walk with his muscle tightness, the current PT knew he was doing tons better.
She said that a lot of the time muscle tightness will correct itself as the child moves around and keeps trying new things. I told her that we had gone to see the pediatrician and told him our concerns about Joshua not standing normally, then he just stood there beautifully, and has been standing better and more consistently better since then. I also said that he seemed to have gone through a verbal and intellectual growth spurt lately, and I expected the physical development to follow soon. The PT said that this would probably happen and to keep working with him. She said to keep working with him, and that he looks great for a 28 weeker, and the rest of the problems should work themselves out.
Summer fun with people I love
5 weeks ago




Pretty good news! But, what kid just walks backwards?? I guess maybe I've seen Tay like twice ever do it. He's still so cute!
ReplyDelete