The other day my visiting teachers came over and one of them mentioned doing scripture study with the kids. I mentioned that I hadn't really started with Joshua, tried a couple of times but he didn't seem interested. She said when her oldest was Joshua's age they went through the gospel art kit. So the next night Brian and I tried it. Joshua loved it when we showed him the first picture which was Jesus.
The next night Brian was gone and I went to the next picture which was of Adam and Eve. Joshua looks at it and goes "No, Jesus". So we had to go to the New Testament part and look at those pictures instead, the whole time Joshua kept saying "More" and "More Jesus".
Last night I was trying to get Joshua to come sit down and fold his arms for prayers. He likes to stall at prayer time so he can stall his bedtime which follows right after. He will run around his room and make sure everything is ready for the night like 3 times for each item. I told him to come pray so then we could look at Jesus pictures. He was still running around so I told him to come pray so we could talk to Heavenly Father and Jesus. Within 10 seconds he was sitting down with his arms folded ready to pray.
This morning he was excited to go to church and kept going to the door and saying "GO", but when I got out his jacket he ran away screaming and when I caught up with him he wanted nothing to do with his jacket or going to church. Finally I told him that we need to go to church to learn about Jesus, immediately Joshua held out his arm to get his jacket on.
It is really exciting to see how early children can understand and start to appreciate the gospel. Now with his understanding we will try to be more consistent with doing the things we should to teach him like have family scriptures and family night more than just occasionally.
We love our Spanish Fork Missionaries
5 months ago




Oh how cute!!! I love how he seems to crave seeing pictures of Jesus... smart kid! You are such a good mother and inspiration to us other newbies in the biz. :)
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome. And what a great idea to teach little ones about the gospel!
ReplyDelete:). I love these stories. It is true, I hear most parents say that their kids like looking at Jesus pictures.
ReplyDeleteYou have the sweetest little boy - he's going to be the greatest big brother!
ReplyDelete