Friday, June 17, 2011

Second Big Project

Karalee keeps trying to get me to write about my woodworking projects. Since I've only finished one besides the swing set, which Karalee already wrote about, I guess I'll start with it.

Since we have a dog that we want to keep outside, we needed a dog house. I also want to build a big chicken coop so this gave me a chance to practice. I made a lot of mistakes. Some, in retrospect, were fairly obvious. They also would have been obvious to anyone with any building experience. Since I have none they were not obvious to me at the time. Good thing I practiced on something smaller.

I started with the frame. I wasn't taking pictures at the beginning so this is the first one I have.


One of those obvious mistakes I talked about. I attached the frame to the floor without putting in the flooring first. Made it a pain to get the plywood in later.

I wasn't sure how to attach the roof, so I used these metal pieces.

For the siding, I used a friend's router. I wanted to make sure that water wouldn't get in by running down the sides. So I took the 8" rough sawn pine and cut away half the width along each side. Then I nailed them to the frame. That way the top piece is over the bottom all the way down.


I used 3/4" plywood for the roof.

I think the roofing went all right. I'll do better next time, but this will definitely keep the dog dry.


No comments:

Post a Comment