Friday, September 24, 2010

Temple Trip

A few weeks ago we realized it had been a really looooooong time since we went to the temple the last time. So Brian had a four day week end this last week end and we packed the kids up and headed to Palmyra.

Going to the temple here is so different than going in Utah, where you can kind of go on the fly. There was a lot of planning and packing. I packed breakfast to eat in the car, and lunch because we wouldn't have time to go buy lunch. I also had to pack toys for Joshua in the car and changes of outfits for all of us, and multiple changes of outfits for Minna. We left at 7:00 that morning and got home about 7:30 that night. It is about a little over 3 hours drive to Palmyra, but there isn't very much traffic, so its not a stressful drive.

The day turned out beautifully. Joshua and Minna could not have acted better. Literally. Even without a nap Joshua was cooperative and didn't hardly fuss about being in the car. We listened to his songs most of the way, so we heard a lot of Winnie the Pooh and primary songs. I also bought a pack of stickers for him to put on a paper, but he found a different way to play with them. Notice they are only on the left leg, I put one on his right leg and it did not make him happy.



Minna didn't cry much either, she got a little put out about being in the car seat so long, and got quite upset when she woke up hungry 20 minutes before the next place to get off, but other than that she just enjoyed herself.

Brian and I took turns going to the temple and watching the kids. While it was my turn in the temple Brian took the kids to the sacred grove and Minna got to ride in the big part of the stroller for the first time.

Then we went to the cannery and bought a lot of wheat. While we were there Minna woke up and was hungry and I didn't know how long Brian was going to be inside so I started to feed her. Brian came out and said he needed to move the car over to the loading dock. It was like 20 feet away and there were no other cars so Brian just drove over while I kept nursing her. The lady who brought out the wheat kept trying to give us directions to the interstate, maybe she thought we were lost because we weren't leaving right away. Brian and I wondered if she didn't notice I was nursing Minna because Minna was all covered up, but then we realized the lady is of my grandparents generation before car seats, and she probably expected us to drive out on the roads with me nursing. But we didn't, we put Minna back into her car seat before we left.

Then Brian dropped me and the kids off at the visitor's center with some chairs while he took his turn at the temple. Aside from Joshua spilling ice water all over Minna, it went pretty well.

It was a beautiful day the temple grounds looked wonderful. The kids were able to stay outside and run off the pent up energy from the car making them happier while we were there and on the way home. The spirit in the temple was wonderful too.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great day! How cool of you guys to put in all the planning and spend Brian's day off serving in the temple, even with the kids in tow. Good reminder to those of us in Utah who take our temples for granted. The temple's 10 minutes from my house and we have very willing grandparents/babysitters nearby, but we still have a hard time finding time for it. Next time I have trouble making it to our monthly temple night, I'm gonna think of you guys and get over there stat!

    ReplyDelete