Today we took Joshua to the doctor for a follow up from the ER. The doctor spent a good 1/2 hour explaining febrile seizures to us and answering our questions. One thing he said that made me feel tons better is that kids don't usually have a febrile seizure from a too high temperature, but it usually comes from a quick spike in temperature, that usually happens so quickly that it is hard to medicate against it. It made me feel less like I baked my poor child into a seizure, but I still plan on keeping his fevers lower than I have in the past. The doctor also said that febrile seizures are genetic and if kids are prone to them, they will probably get at least one. But that they are not dangerous or painful, and that if we have the presence of mind they are something we can deal with at home, with the on call doctor on the phone instead of having to call 911. Hopefully we won't have to do that though.
On other notes, I think we are finally starting to turn the corner on our sickness. Minna is quite perky, and I finally have some energy. As long as I keep Joshua's fever down, he feels well enough to play outside a little bit, but he still seems tired. Hopefully soon we can regain normal life.
Sending well wishes your way! :)
ReplyDelete