Saturday, June 15, 2013

Bees

I finally got my bees on Friday night (third weekend of May).  By which I mean I picked them up and got home at 10:30 PM.  I also got stung in the car.  A couple of bees had been clinging to the outside of the package and escaped into the car when I brushed them off.  Here's a picture of a bee package.



The next night after going to Boston for a temple trip I installed the bees in their new homes.  Since it was late and I wanted to get it done before dark I did several things I shouldn't have.  1) I didn't shower first.  Bees dislike strong smells and I had been working outside for about an hour and was sweaty.  2) I didn't change clothes.  Bees also dislike dark colors.  Including my blue t-shirt.  3) I didn't wear my bee veil.  This would have stopped 5/6 stings I got while installing the two packages.  One the bright side after getting stung 6 times in about 10 minutes I am definitely not allergic.  A couple of videos by Karalee are included for your viewing pleasure.
Here I am installing the first package of bees.

Here I am installing the second package of bees.

And here they are in their new home.







No comments:

Post a Comment